I love traveling, but my travel has always been here and there for a specific purpose either business or pleasure. This new travel is week on week, in and out of airplanes or hours and hours in the car.
I went for a jog this morning after a week of travel and it literally kicked my butt. While my feet were hitting the pavement I had an epiphany in the midst of the pain. If your life changes and you don't move with it there will be consequences that aren't what you want for your life.
We all know that we have to find a balance in our lives each day. A balance between what we must do and what we need to do for ourselves. Most often what gets sacrificed is us.
- We eat too much.
- We eat the wrong things.
- We ride on a wave of stress from all the circumstances that are out of our control.
- We abuse our vices; too much drinking or smoking, etc.
- We don't sleep enough.
- We don't get the right sleep.
- We forget to do the things that make us happy.
- We neglect our relationships and find them less loving.
- We become more critical of everything and everyone around us.
- We miss blessings; we forget to give thanks.
If you find yourself feeling like something is wrong and you just can't put your finger on it, the answer might be just as simple as stopping everything, looking honestly at what is going on in your life on all fronts and then applying yourself to the discipline of adjusting the scale to bring balance back.
Discipline, like pain, is a very individual thing. Reading about it, falling prey to trends in health and fitness, looking outside yourself for peace in your relationships is NEVER going to work. You must be very honest about what YOU need.
- How much sleep do YOU need?
- What foods make YOU feel healthy?
- What activity works for YOU to keep you fit?
- What gives YOU pleasure and makes you smile?
- What do YOU need to give in your relationships?
- What are YOUR spiritual or quiet needs?
As long as you look to other sources for the right way to take care of you, balance will be elusive and stress and physical issues will dominate. Take a hard look at what it is you need to do for YOU, do it every day no matter what or where you are. Start the day that way and finish it that way. If you waiver one day, then recover the next. Most importantly don't allow the fluid nature of life and schedules and emergencies and others, decide for you. Apply the discipline YOU need for YOU to live a balanced and joyful life!!!